What is LinkedIn?
LinkedIn is a business-oriented social networking site. Founded in December 2002 and launched in May 2003 it is mainly used for professional networking. Although it has its roots in social interactions, it is also a wonderful place for professional development.
How many users?
LinkedIn had more than 50 million registered users spanning more than 200 countries and territories worldwide.
Why I love It – We love LinkedIn because it means business, literally! LinkedIn was built from the ground as a social networking site with a “professional” twist. With over 50 million users, LinkedIn is growing steadily and is simply a “must have” for any job hunter of the 21st century.
How Can you Use It?
Using LinkedIn is a snap! The interface is very intuitive and many people who I have taught have told me that they agree, it has a very small learning curve. You can use this site in many ways, but I will list the post popular:
1. Connecting with other professionals you know
2. Finding new “connections” through other connections thus opening doors and creating opportunity for advancement
3. Leverage connections to learn about the processes of a specific company or a specific companies hiring or interview processes
4. Getting recommendations for your work in a centralized fashion
5. Much, Much more – I will go into more detail in a later post called LinkedIn “Get Connected” so keep an eye on my site.